• Mon. Jul 4th, 2022

The Attorney General of the Republic issues international arrest warrants for the alleged perpetrators of 19-20 attacks

ByWebmaster

Sep 26, 2021

BUJUMBURA September 24th (ABP) – The Attorney General of the Republic, Mr. Sylvestre Nyandwi, facilitated a press conference on Wednesday, during which he spoke in relation to the attacks perpetrated on September 19th and 20th.

During that press conference, Mr. Nyandwi indicated that the mortar attack, which focused around the Melchior Ndadaye International Airport on the night of September 19, did not cause any damage. But the simultaneous attacks in the pomegranate perpetrated in the evening of September 20, in different places in the city of Bujumbura, have caused losses in human lives and material damage, he said, indicating that these attacks are consecutive to others who had been committed in some corners of the country.

According to the Attorney General of the Republic, “the Crown forcefully condemns these acts that only aim for peaceful self-defense citizens”. Qualifying these attacks “acts of terrorism and crimes against humanity”, Mr. Nyandwi took the opportunity to present his condolences to families who lost theirs.

With regard to attacks committed before September 20, the Attorney General of the Republic reported that cases had been opened and investigations are underway. He also stated that “the investigations already carried out revealed that these acts are committed by a band of terrorists led by the following people: Alexis Sindihije who is at the head of this band, François Nyamoya, Marguerite Barankitse, Melchiade Biremba, Jean Claude Nibigira Alias ​​Bayaga, Nicolas Niyukuri Alias ​​Gisiga, Gad Bahati, Liévin Ndayiragije aka twenty-six “. He mentioned that for the same record of the attacks before September 20, other authors are not yet identified and are still sought.

As “the leaders of this band does not reside on the national territory”, the Attorney General of the Republic indicated that “international arrest warrants have been issued to their place so that the countries that host them can arrest them and the Deliver to Burundian justice to meet their actions “. He has, thus pleaded that the countries of the African community and those of the International Conference on the Grand Lakes region where these people stay or pass “to lend them strong hands.” This will strengthen peace and security in the sub region, “said the Attorney General of the Republic, indicating that” on the contrary case, it would seriously compromise peace and security in the region. ”

Regarding the attacks committed on the evening of September 20, the Attorney General of the Republic reported that a file was opened and recorded under the number RMPG873 / K. / BJB. It has, for that purpose, arrested “any person who would hold information in relation to these acts of terrorism to entrust it to the nearest or police prison”, while promising that their identity will be kept secret.

Speaking about the qualification of other attacks that have been perpetrated before the dates from 19 to 20 September, the Attorney General of the Republic qualified “acts of terrorism”, as long as “their authors attack the Civil and non-military targets. They do not lead a war, but they commit acts that, under national and international law, are qualified as terrorism and crimes against humanity, “according to the Attorney General of the Republic.